" White Buck Leather Dressing" - a bottle of shoe polish
(still usable). The corked bottle measures about 6 inches
tall. Box is cardboard. Made by Domestic Specialty Company,
Hamilton Ontario, Canada. We think its 1920's. Can you help?
The tower was named Wolf Tower by Catharine Parr- Traill during a visit
the year it was built. Wolf tower was given to Thomas and Catherine
Parr-Traill to live in, for one year, rent-free in 1846.
Catherine Parr-Traill started a book Canadian Crusoes (Later called Lost in the Backwoods) at
Wolf Tower. She used many of the landmarks, including the Big Stone (Valley of the Big Stone)
from the ravine and hills south of the tower.
Bridges sold Wolf Tower to James Finlay.
The Tower burned to the ground in 1856. Finlay built Tower Manor house circa 1857.
Finlay moved to Greenville, South Carolina in 1873. Finlay sold
Tower Manor to Richard Robinson Nurse, a farmer from South
Monagahan Township (25 miles to the north) in 1874. Around 1904 the house became a guest
Lodge under Richard Nurse's son John and his wife Ella.
A gentleman by the name of Charlie Coulston was
the next owner for 17 years (1935-1952), followed by
Stewart and Gladys Thompson for 20 years (1953 to 1972). Overnight
stays within the Lodge ended in 1973. Harry and Mariette MacKinnon
owned and ran Tower Manor Lodge for only 4 years (1972 to
John and Marilyn Stallard began operations in 1977. John and
Marilyn (1977 to 1985) turned things over to John and Gail Andersen
in 1985. To this day John and Gail Andersen continue to
manage, own and operate their successful venture ... Tower